Rent Smart Wales
Rent Smart Wales has been introduced from 23rd November 2015 and it will provide a simple way for private landlords to register and to become licensed.
The move has been made law through part of The Housing (Wales) Act 2014. The licensing registration scheme will be run by Cardiff Council. More details and full requirement to obtain a license can be found at the following link https://www.rentsmart.gov.wales/en/
To make things a little easier for you, we have outlined a few key points below.
Rent Smart Wales Overview:
- All managing agents and self-managing landlords (landlords who manage and/or undertake maintenance on their properties) must:
- Only Landlords need to register
- Apply for a licence if you choose to manage your property
- Pay the relevant fees associated with registration and licensing
- Be a ‘fit and proper’ person
- Stick to the Code of Practice
- Landlords must complete the appropriate application on the Rent Smart website.
- All those required to obtain a license have until the 23rd November 2016 to register and apply, before enforcement begins and the various penalties apply.
- There are fees for landlord registration, landlord licensing and Agent licences.
- The cost to undertake training for the license is separate to the licensing fee and will depend on which training you decide to undertake.
A landlord who currently manages their property may choose not to apply for a license, but must therefore use a licensed agent to undertake ‘management activities, instead. If you choose this option you would surrender the right to manage your rented property as the licensed agent would have to do this on your behalf.
Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact any of our lettings and management staff and they will be happy to assist.
Here are 4 easy options when renting your property...
Should you now feel that you would like us to manage your property to alleviate any worry for having to complete the Rent Smart Wales application, we would be more than happy to talk you through our various management options.
Every landlord’s needs are different. We’ll tailor a property management package that suits you, including things like:
- Rent collection
- Property inspections
- Arranging quotes and managing repairs
- Being the first point of call for tenants
- Lease administration